Monday, October 8, 2012

Shoppin' (Teenybopper Edition)

Good morning!

I had a heckuva time at the estate sales this weekend-- while the fish weren't biting as easily and with as great a frequency as two weekends ago, I did find some GREAT stuff in spite of rain, lackluster inventory at several sales, and my dad and I getting turned around about half a dozen times before eventually reaching our destination. And danged if I didn't take a minute to photograph any of the goods! Tomorrow, I should be able to take some pictures of my loot to share with you, but as for today, why don't you take a gander at some of  the items that have been catching my fancy on Ebay and Etsy? I've been interested in trying to dig up "teenybopper" related junior high and high school student items from the fifties' to the early sixties'. The whimsy and the innocence of them all!

Let's see what we can see:

                           Orig. Vintage 1950s Teen Idol SAL MINEO Fan Club Pin

Sweet, sad little Sal Mineo! Doesn't he look like a miniature version of a full-sized hunk?


Vinyl Disc Tote 1950's Teen 45rpm Record Carrier Totem Pole Pow Wow Vtg

I've never actually seen a record tote out in the wild, but cultural stereotypes aside, 
this is a REEEALLY cute way to store your errant 45's. Do you see the tourist photographing them
in the background?


Vintage 50s Change of Heart Silver Spare Change

 Locket Pendant Necklace Chain

The little latch labeled "Change of Heart" hinges up to give you a place to put a spare dime
(back when pay phone calls cost a dime) in case you decide you and Johnny can work
through your teen age romance issues after all! I DIE. OF CUTE.

Facts of Life and Love for Teen-Agers - 1957

 - by Evelyn Millis Duvall - Illustrated

I actually have this book somewhere! Q: Have I ever met an etiquette book I didn't like?

A: No. Look at the blonde girl's jumper dress! Lemme at 'em!

VINTAGE 1950'S PLANTER TEEN GIRL W/PONY TAIL 

WITH RECORDS/MUSIC,MARKED

I really can't imagine the teenager who would be like "Please! Please, Ma, can't I have this
decorative teenybopper planter?!" I think this is the kind of last minute Woolworth's
purchase that a distant aunt would make for a teen's xmas present. "Look! It's a teenager!
Like you, Judy! Get it?"



VINTAGE UNCUT 1950's TEEN TIME ANN & PEGGY PAPER DOLLS~#1 TOP REPRO~NOSTALGIC!

I really like paper dolls more than I should for the very reason children and teenagers of bygone eras do--
the daydream material of "What if all these clothes were real! What if I had all these fabulous clothes!". Notice how one in three of every fifties' teen girl looks/aspires to look exactly like Natalie Wood. I don't blame them!

2005 alexander herny ~ SOCK HOP ROCK ~ vintage 1950's teens jukebox poodle skirt

This is actually a modern print from 2005, but OH MY GOODNESS IT IS TOO CUTE. And if you click through to see other parts of the fabric, you can see how very "in the style of" the era the illustrations are (think Dyna Moe's Mad Men Ilustrated). We approve!


Vinyl Deb-u-Teen Melody Tote by Ponytail 1950's Teen 45rpm Record Carrier Vtg

More record totes I don't own for some reason. I love the illustrated girl's cigarette pants and flats.

Vintage Heart Charm/Pendant Pat Boone 

Always Your Boy Brass 1950's Pop Teen Idol

Who doesn't love Pat Boone? Not fifties' teenagers, for sure! I bought a "Your Teenage Years" teen etiquette manual a few years back (I told you, I can't resist them) and in the back were carefully clipped newspaper columns from the Nashville Banner of Pat Boone's syndicated teen advice column from the fifties'. As supplemental material, naturally. How sweet is that?


FABIAN**8X10 COLOR PHOTO**

1950'S TEEN IDOL**AWESOME!

"Love always, Fabian". Need I say more? LOOK. AT THAT HAIR. 

VINTAGE 1950s GOLD Teenager's LINK BRACELET

+9 MECHANICAL CHARMS..KITSCH CAMPY!!

I have this bracelet! Minus the cowbell, pinwheel, and ashtray charms, and plus one more lie-detector charm (second from left). I have a problem with collecting vintage charm bracelets, but this was my first! I don't think I paid more than $2 for it.


VINTAGE TEEN MAGAZINE - APRIL 1962 ISSUE - 

ADVERTISING PHOTOS, BANDSTAND ARTICLE

To shadow, or not to shadow...THAT is the question. See what I said about Natalie Wood lookalikes? Mikki Jamison was a primarily tv actress "popular with the teenage set". Well, yeah! 

vintage LIL MISS TEENAGER TRAIN CASE-1960'S

I want to live in a world where teenagers need train cases. And dress like air stewardesses.

Vintage Rare "Tammy & Pepper" 

Lunchbox & Thermos 1962 Alladin - Ideal Toy Co.

Tammy and her sister Pepper were from a line of Barbie competition dolls from Ideal. They came with complete family, including Mom and Dad (please click here to see Mom's stretch lurex silver glitter capris...you know you want to).

vtg PONY TAIL photo scrapbook Teenage GIRL

record player/ great red/blue graphic

Last but not least, look at this adorable fifties' teenager in pony tail and penny loafers, pasting mementos into her scrapbook as Fabian plays on her portable record player in the background. So cool!



Well, that's the roundup of stuff I didn't get this weekend. Which teenage item appeals to you the most? Do you have a secret stash of teenybopper memorabilia, or any particularly specific-to-your-teen-years crushes that manifested themselves in poster/notebook/charm bracelet buying? Do tell!

Have a great Monday, and I'll see you tomorrow!

2 comments:

  1. i love stuff like that. i've seen pony tail record holders at estate sales a few times but never bought them. i love teeny bopper stuff so much! my tenny bopper pin back is one of my favorite finds this year!
    and i am dying to find a charm bracelet! i don't look at the jewelry at sales very often but i need too! i didn't even go out last weekend. i'm still reeling from spending over 100 bucks at that inglewood sale. ach!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love all of that stuff. I have Pat Boone's book too. The other day I heard his song "April Love" on the radio, now I need one of his albums. Perhaps I shall lead a fanbase resurgence. So far he hasn't cursed anyone out on American Idol, gone into rehab for exhaustion or attacked paparazzi.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...