Friday, September 20, 2013

Photo Friday: Technicolor Wedding Edition (1966)

Good morning!

Thanks, guys, for all your good advice yesterday on my next-to-last post as a single woman! I couldn't hardly sleep last night thinking about the rehearsal today, so Lord help me tonight when the big event is practically at hand!! I hope you're having a good week, but what week would be complete without a Photo Friday to look forward to? Today, I was looking for COLOR in all caps, and boy did I find it. Just try searching "wedding 1966" on either Flickriver or Flickr itself, and these are the kind of technicolor dreamboats you're going to come across. 

Let's look!

source
This first photo is notable for the mother of the groom's youthful, Faye-Dunaway-in-a-European-movie style goldenrod ensemble. I love that the elbow length gloves match the hat, and meet at the elbow length sleeves. Can you see the little ribbon detail at the cuffs of each sleeve? To wear a hat like this just once, and this well! The mother of the bride is a pretty snazzy looking herself, in an emerald seafoam of a print, also with white gloves and a subtle, velvet band of a hat. Do you know how much less interesting of a photo this would have been in black and white? Thank goodness for Eastman Kodak!

source
 I like this photo for two reasons. One, I can hear in my head the bride saying "And you could use your bridesmaids dresses for a number of different formal, social occasions after the ceremony! It's not just a one-off dress, it's really very elegant and versatile!" And she would have been lying like a rug. Still, the girls do look pretty sweet in their pale and midnight blue gowns. Two, I can't get over how tall the two grooms on the groomsmen side are in the middle of the lineup. Please, groom, if you're going to have friends, they need to be of either a uniform size or at least smaller than you. These pituitary cases are distracting the rest of us! Just kidding. But it is weird to have such tall men among such smaller ones. It looks like someone's done something to distort the proportion of the photo.

source
Now these, theeeeeese are some bridesmaid dresses. What is going on here?! While the bride looks lovely, I am so thrown off by the jumper-like construction of the other gowns and why did you let the one bridesmaid have a violet instead of a pink hat? Isn't the whole point for the girls to look uniform? As timeless as the tuxedo'd men and the bride look, you know she's looking back on her wedding photos like "Why...why did I insist on those dresses?" or better yet "Why did I allow my bridesmaids to choose their own dresses?!" This is a picture that might have been better in black and white. Still, the vividness of the photo is hard to argue with.

source
A much more traditional bridesmaid dress collection here. Do I love or do I LOVE the bride's cupcake of a dress? Maybe this is why I chose a similarly poufy one for myself! I actually like these bridesmaids dresses, too, because they're a true powder blue. And honestly, if you shortened the hem a little, you could wear them again as a nice evening sheath. It can be done, apparently! 

source
Last but not least, here's a happy couple rushing off for their honeymoon! What strikes me about this photo is how of-a-moment and breathless it is. Obviously, someone's cousin or college buddy was lying there in wait, next to the getaway car, to snap a in media res photo of the couple dashing through the thrown rice to the first moments of their lives as married people and alone! Also, the bride's red coat and blue ensemble are pretty cute, if I do say so myself.

So! What do you think? Which of these photos is the most colorful? Did your mother or grandmother employ any completely crazy color schemes on her non-suspecting bridesmaids, or was she kind in her dress selection? Which of these vintage looks would you wear right now? Let's talk?

PEOPLE, I'M OFF TO BE A MARRIED GAL! Wish me luck! I have a week's worth of reruns lined up next week to get you through our vacations, so make sure you stop by to see some blasts from She Was a Bird's past in my absence. You guys are the best! See you soon. :)

12 comments:

  1. Congratulations! I hope you guys have the BEST and HAPPIEST day!!! As far as the pictures are concerned, ifs really hope one of those giant groomsmen was matched with the teeny tiny bridesmaid.

    Best wishes for all the joy that life can afford you. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll send you a supertanker full of wishes for happiness over the Atlantic - have a great wedding day and the worlds best marriage!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love that picture with the giant groomsmen. i wonder if they are super tall, or if the groom is just a little guy!
    best wishes for your day tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations!!! Hope you have the happiest of days. :) And hope you share some photos/ details when you get back!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, wow I seriously LOVE this! Vintage photos are the best. That cupcake wedding dress in photo #4 is gorgeous! I literally just saved that to stare at it later. So good! Oh, yeah - congratulations! xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Best of luck! Wishing you the happiest day ever-enjoy yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations and all best wishes for a happy and prosperous married life!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lisa, wishing you and Matthew a delightful day and more importantly, a long, happy life together! We all can't wait to see some photos of YOUR wedding, even though this collection was stunning to look through! This collection reminds me of my family wedding photos floating through our photo albums. Sixties and seventies for sure! LOVE THESE! One day, your wedding photos too may be seen by some as yet to be born individuals! Enjoy your special day with those you love!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I loved them all.... and you my dear, have a wonderful wedding weekend.... You are so truly darling. I am sure your day will be just that, and you deserve it too. I cant wait to see photos.. Remember to stop and breathe and say in your head I want to remember this Moment forever.... say the words, and you will..... details dont matter at this point... Liviing life from this point with your LOVE does... enjoy
    big hugs

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats on your all important day - and thanks for sharing these fab photos!

    www.mancunianvintage.com

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...