Thursday, August 22, 2013

Wedding DIY: Fast Luck 7 Day Candle

Good morning!

Well, I wish I could promise you wouldn't be hearing more about my wedding for the next month-- but I cannot! We are THIRTY DAYS out from the celebration, and I have been a busy little bee trying to finish things for the big day. One of my first DIYs for the reception decorations turned out swimmingly, and I wanted to show you guys, duh!

Have you ever seen those seven day candles at your local grocery or a supermercado, with images of saints pasted to the outside? I had the one sitting on my desk in my high school bedroom, but instead of a religious figure, the label was inundated with promises of wealth, love, and success. "YOUR WISH COME TRUE!" one slogan shouted in bold white type face. "PROSPERITY!" another crowed. I truly love the gimmicky, midway-at-carnival sense of the over the topness from this candle. All I have to do is light this ONE candle and I may win the lottery tomorrow! There's no telling!






Since one of my colors is a sage green, I thought the one at left in the above illustration would be perfect as a kitschy little thing to have sitting around in the centerpieces. But did you know, fast luck is MONDO expensive! I couldn't find a fast luck candle online for less than $6, when I know at that price, the scant change and moths coming out of my little change purse in high school would have precluded me buying it at my local Kroger's. Couldn't have been more than $3, I don't think! Add to that a $6 shipping charge, and what would have been a cute little goofy thing to have as reception decoration could be a three figure price tag!

When my resourcefulness meets my penury, I sometimes strike gold, and this case was no exception. Using clip art from the back of old magazines (mostly Popular Mechanics, surprisingly enough) and some vintage embroidery patterns in Paint, I came up with the following personalized label for our candles! 

What do you think! I'm pleased as punch with the outcome. I wanted them to look pretty much exactly like the original Fast Luck candle I had, but in the same funky cut-and-paste lettering I use on the blog (and my invitations). I think the word "cash" with a period after it may be my favorite part. Or maybe the wheat penny. Heck, I love it all.

Procedure?
  1. Buy 25 8'' candles from the Dollar Tree.
  2. Measure circumference of the candle.
  3. Print out 25 copies of the label design, scaled to the measurements of the candle (saves time on cutting out individual parts of the label).
  4. With postal tape, completely cover the label, affixing it to the candle (I used the tension of rolling the candle with one hand while pulling the tape with the other to get a smooth application).
  5. Gloat over your success (and possibly light a candle to bring future luck).
Now I'm thinking-- do I get another 25 to make enough for all the guests? Or is it a "while supplies last" wedding favor? There are other little wedding tchotchkes, as you knew there would be at my own nuptials, haha, but these are pretty darn cute if I do say so myself.


So! What do you think about my candles? Did you "DIY" anything spectacular at your own wedding? Have any plans to make something crazy awesome for yours some day? What's the neatest wedding favor you've received as a guest at someone's ceremony? Let's talk!

That's all for today, I have to go back to slaving in the book mines. Have a great Thursday, and I'll see you tomorrow for Photo Friday! Til then.

14 comments:

  1. THOSE LOOKS AMAZE-BALLS! What a good idea. I think they have those little prayer candles for super cheap at WalMart. I haven't been in a Walmart for YEARS until a few weeks ago, I went with my mom and they had a whole display for like $1 or something ridiculously affordable.(the high cost of low prices)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's such a neat idea, and your candles turned to out look super awesome! They're very fun and unique for the wedding occasion. :)

    vegcourtesy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love those! such a cute idea!
    our favors were R and T cookies, iced in our wedding colors. my bridesmaids helped me ice them and they took FOREVER! i learned though that you don't need a favor for everyone on your guest list. a lot of couples or families just took one for the group, so we had a LOT of cookies left over! we ate them for a week! (which was awesome because they were GOOD!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG - is there nothing this girl can't do????? Fabulous!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. AWESOME!!! I had a mild obsession with those candles when I was in Junior High too; they lined my wondowsill!

    ReplyDelete
  6. SUPER-cute! Look how crafty you are!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is BRILLIANT. You caught the dynamic perfectly! That rates as one of the cleverest and most original wedding decorations I have ever seen!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very very Cute & Creative-not to mention Unique-love it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. No surprise here Lisa, this is terrific, coming from you.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...