Wednesday, August 14, 2013

A Grand Day to Be 28 (Oh My God, the Stevie Nicks Shirt of My DREAMS)

Good morning!

First of all, thank you everybody for my kind birthday wishes! I had a fabulous time Monday and Tuesday both, hanging out with my family, buying cacti in bulk (wedding prep), and being spoiled rotten by my soon to be spouse. I am actually speechless at his major birthday present for me this year:

How do you like my new haircut? A wedding/birthday present from Jen Q!

Oh this? Just my SIZE MEDIUM VINTAGE STEVIE NICKS TOUR SHIRT FROM THE 1983 WILD HEART TOUR. This came in the mail a day early on Monday and I was near-hysteria. Remember the post I did about how heartbroken my fruitless search for a Fleetwood Mac tour shirt on the internet had left me? Bereft of hope? Completely convinced I would never boast such a wardrobe jewel in my crown? MATTHEW TO THE RESCUE.


This shirt popped up on Etsy, and was only mildly unreasonable in terms of expense, instead of impossibly unreasonable, and in a vintage size medium. Have I mentioned that Stevie Nicks tour shirts are 1) rare as hens' teeth, in spite of her staggering popularity at the time (I guess people are holding on to them?) and 2) always in either an XXS or an XXL (I am neither). I pined and pined over it for a few days, and then saw that it was sold. Little did I know, Matthew was the one who had been looking over my shoulder and pulled the trigger on the greatest t-shirt of my life. AAAAH! I am so pleased.

I had lunch at my folks' house with my mom, dad, and Sus. Sus and Matt, in their infinite wisdom, even got me a vegan pie from Whole Foods the night before! We had fun gabbin' and eating pie before I had to head to my next birthday engagement. Matthew, who was shooting a commercial earlier that day (fancy!), took me out to dinner at the Silly Goose, and I felt a little bit like I was in an episode of Gordon Ramsey's Kitchen Nightmares AFTER the restaurant had been streamlined and chic'd up. Our table top was granite, and the silverware was wrapped in cheery red bandannas. Water glasses were little canning jars, and the menu presented on an office clipboard (wine list on a smaller clipboard). Something about this was very charming to me-- well-thought out. Also impressive--the waiters had POS's on their iPads! They could close a check completely paperlessly via said system. I have seriously only seen this on tv before. Sandwiched between Jeni's and Ugly Mugs in that Eastland restaurant district, I walked in and thought "Oh, please let this be as nice as it as it seems to be." Even more impressive than their check-closing abilities? THEIR FOOD. I had the Double AA vegetarian plate, which was couscous and a kebab of marinated mushrooms, peppers, and tomatoes. A lot of the time, getting the vegetarian plate at a restaurant turns out to be getting a plateful of raw garnishes for other meat dishes. Not so, in this case! This was honestly one of the best meals I've had out in Nashville, and strictly on my diet. Three cheers for Silly Goose! (and my own, Gomer Pyle like awestruckness at their modernity)

Here's a collage of some of the presents I received yesterday:


Including:

  1. A coffee pump pot (nice name, right?) from my folks, and a pretty green beaded necklace. I begged them not to give me presents this year because they're doing so much for my wedding, but they would not let the occasion go unmarked! :) I've been wanting one of these serving pots for FOREVER, but used ones ook me out (who knows if it was put away and left to mildew? Or what's been in that carafe?). Also, a card from my Grandma.
  2. A panther head necklace from Sus and Matt (to match my panther bracelet!!).
  3. A Kit Kat clock from David and April (OH. MY. GOD.)
  4. A floral chip and dip and a Yahtzee strategy guide from Deb (amping up my Yahtzee AND hostess game, two of my most important traits).
  5. A Blu-Ray of Wizards, the Tolkien-esque Bakshi animated movie from the seventies'...I watched this CONSTANTLY as a kid, and Matthew thought it would be neat if we had a copy to show our kids some day! Also, that white walker bobble head (scary!) and that Ted Hawkins's record ON VINYL (blue vinyl, no less!).
  6. A nice card and rememberance from Matthew's Memaw.
  7. A vegan strawberry-with-pecans cake from Whole Foods inscribed "Happy Birthday Babu" (from you know who).
Here's a closeup of the cake, taken in the dungeon-like lighting conditions of my kitchen at night (I must replace those bulbs!!):



All in all, it was a fabulous day! Even more than the swag (though I love each and every of my presents), it was so sweet to be thought of by everyone on my birthday. 

So! How do you usually celebrate your birthday? Do you make a big fuss, or do you prefer a low key (or no key) activity to mark the occasion? Have you gotten a present that BLEW. YOUR. MIND. for any recent holiday? Let's talk!

That's all for today. Back to regular vintage stuff tomorrow, I promise! Have a great Wednesday, and I'll see you then! :)

18 comments:

  1. Wow, what an awesome birthday you had! The best present of all? That you are still only 28!!!!!!!!! :P Hahahah! I celebrated my birthday last week, and am only *slightly* touchy that I am now 30! THIRTY! How did that happen?!

    Anywayyyyys...glad you had an awesome day and that you got your dream gift!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I am STILL CRAZY about this shirt, a week later! And it IS nice to still be only 28... though I secretly wish I was 24 again. I would do it all so much better this time over! (watch me say the same thing when I AM 30, haha)

      Delete
  2. Happy belated birthday! I have one of those Kit Kat Clocks. I like to think where most people have an angel and a devil as their conscience, I just have two little floating Kit Kat Clocks that tell me what to do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey girl! Thanks! I love the image of the Kit Kat clock conscience. I still need to put mine up!

      Delete
  3. Finding the perfect vintage t-shirt is a really big deal! It feels like such an accomplishment. What great gifts you got - especially loving that clock because I've always wanted one!

    xo, Michelle
    Neon Rattail

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've wanted a kit kat clock since I was a kid, too! I was so surprised when it showed up, because I had NO idea they were getting it for me. It's still sitting in the box on the kitchen table, I have to find the right place to put it!

      Delete
  4. happy birthday! I am envious of your shirt. I feel the same way that concert shirts are getting so ridiculously priced lately. It's craziness!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! You'll usually see Stevie Nicks shirts online for like $150! AND PEOPLE BUY THEM. How is this possible?

      Delete
  5. I'm late, but happy birthday!
    Sounds like a great day and you did get spoiled. I love going out to eat on my birthday and my husband usually stalks my eBay viewing history to see what he can surprise me with. Our men are sweetly sneaky that way, huh?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, thanks! :) And we're lucky to have sweetly sneaky sweethearts, it's so fun to get a surprise gift you hadn't even ENTERTAINED the thought of your beau getting for you!

      Delete
  6. That shirt!!! How cool AND it's a great color on you! LOVE the hair. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I keep saying it was less of a gift on JQ's part, getting me this haircut, than an intervention. I've been wearing it down all the time now!

      Delete
  7. Happy Belated Birthday! It sounds like you had a great day, and what wonderful presents!! We usually go out to eat on my birthday, we keep it fairly low key. I was born two days before Christmas, so my birthday tended to get lost in the shuffle when I was growing up, EXCEPT the most awesome birthday ever. It was in the mid 1960's, and my family was gathering for a Christmas celebration at my grandma's house. She had this swinging door into the kitchen, and above it she put a sign saying "no children allowed, EXCEPT Maureen!". I was quite young at the time, and I still remember how special that made me feel. I got to go into the kitchen, be a taste tester, help stir things-talk about feeling loved :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THIS. IS. THE SWEETEST. STORY. And look how you remember it to this day as your special birthday. I want to do that for my kids or grandkids some day! Being singled out as special in a good way, when you're a kid, is the best feeling (heck, it's not a bad feeling when you're grown!).

      Delete
  8. happy birthday indeed! i would about die from happiness with that shirt! <3

    ReplyDelete
  9. i'm glad you had such a great birthday! and i'm happy to hear that the silly goose is good. we've almost gone but never made it.
    i have a vintage pump pot that i use a LOT and never even thought about maybe the previous ownder didn't clean it too well until just now. hmmm, it IS cute though...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Re: Goose: I was just bowled over by how good it was. Expensive, but seriously good!

      Re: pot: Yours is probably fine. Any of the ones I would have bought are probably fine, I just semi-irrational fears of mold. Dust? No prob! Weird smells? We'll deal with it! Mold...no way, man! But I'm sure yours was kept fine.

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...