Tuesday, April 9, 2013

My Beautiful Kitchenette (plus bonus outfits)

 Good morning!

While I was taking photos Sunday of the Annie Hall wall for inclusion in yesterday's post, I thought I would also take a few snaps around the kicthen while I had the forethought to photograph my natural habitat in natural lighting (novelty!). I recently swapped kitchen tables (not for the last time I'm sure), and ended up with this wrought iron, rococo early 70's number. Check it out!


My last kitchen table, the yellow Formica one, was bought in a fit of passion for Don Draper style home furnishings about five years ago. While it served well at parties as a buffet station, it hadn't occurred to me when I bought it (at an estate sale in a Tudor house in the Sylvan Park area of town) how LARGE the table itself was. "What, it's a fifties' table and I have a fifties' house! Sure it'll fit!" I reassured myself as my dad and I wrestled it's delicate, prone-to-losing pins chrome legs into the pickup truck. The kitchen of the aforementioned Tudor was an eight-foot ceilinged, long rectangle of a room, with one wall fitted with tall, creaky white cabinets and sink. The rest of the room was practically ballroom sized in  comparison with my diminuitive dining nook. It was a lot like the lamps I got at a Bordeaux sale a dog's age ago-- I took them out of the car and went, "DID THEY GET BIGGER ON THE DRIVE OVER HERE?"


This table was bought by my Uncle Johnny and Aunt Doris in the early seventies'. The set sat in the same household, circa 1972, as those insane Graceland gold velvet and brocade sofas that used to be in my living room, which is more than I can wrap my head around. In the early eighties', when my parents bought this house, Johnny and Doris sold them the set as they upgraded to something a little more Reagan-era, and my dad, son of antique dealers, has said on more than four occasions, "When I grew up, it was always 'Don't sit in that chair! What are you trying to do, sitting in that 200 year old chair?!' So I always liked these. This chair! You couldn't do anything to this chair if you WANTED to! [knocking appreciatively on the tabletop] SOLID." It sat just where it's sitting now for the whole of my childhood, and as in all the heirloom items I've received down the family tree, I can specifically remember Sus and I, as young babs, trying to wrest the weird shaped finials off the tops of the chairs (why did I shoot myself in the foot this way! I was always trying to destroy things I would one day own!).

It was in storage for awhile after my parents got a new dining room table at (you guessed it) an estate sale, and when I called my mom asking after the table, she was almost too eager to have it back in its old position at her old house! "Oh, it's perfect for that space. You're really going to like it there." (I read too many old horror comic books where a remark like this prefaces a chain of events in which a haunted piece of furniture or a cursed piece of furniture or a generally evil piece of furniture spells doom for the protagonist, in this case, me).

Note the missing finial on the chair under the window. GOLDURNIT, where was my childhood foresight?!

As well as the Formica served me, I am over the moon about this new set. Matthew and I can ACTUALLY SIT ACROSS FROM ONE ANOTHER AND HAVE DINNER. We used to have to sit side by side, diner style, owing to the fact that the behemoth old table took up almost the entire space between wall and cabinet. You could scoot the table out from the wall and angle it for when people came over to dinner, but if somebody needed a fork, whoever was on the end that wasn't blocked in would have to reach it to them (which, I'm sorry, always made me feel more Dogpatch than domestic goddess, no matter how pretty my table setting was and how elegant the food was). No more! Now, we can add a leaf and two more chairs if we need to, and there's STILL room for people to get up and perambulate around the room (should the mood strike them). Success!

Here's the light fixture that hangs o'erhead:

At first, I thought you were too Laura Ashley to fit the decor....now, I love you.

The only other thing in this part of the kitchen is my Martha Stewart (I don't know why that impresses me, it does) baker's rack, which my mom bought for my birthday one year. Furniture is a tricky thing to get someone for a gifting occasion, but I really needed somewhere to put my microwave (and excess pitchers, and Ben Siebel servingware, etc, etc).


How many kitsch things can you spot in this one photo?


The little face-mug is from the Texas Centennial in 1936! I realize I was just talking about that last week with my Texas posts, and had this all along. #Ineedtomovethere The chihuahua portrait is labelled "Lucy", btw.


Last but not least, here's two bonus outfits from this weekend:

I love the classiness of the backyard trashcan being included in the composition of this shot. Take that, Cartier-Bresson!

I got this dress at the Murfreesboro Goodwill and LOOOOOVE it. The material is heavy enough to make drapes out of, but I'm glad whoever made it decided to make a dress instead. The pattern is wild! I wore this to the mall on Sunday and got more than three compliments on it. My head swells to the size of Rushmore.


Kelsey and I were talking online the other day about what I should wear for my wedding reception (the dress is 80% in the bag, I think-- I have a vintage one that makes me look like Jean Harlow in Dinner at Eight, but we're also going gown shopping sometime next week, just to see what we can see) and both got REALLY excited about gold, and sequins, and drama. I was searching ebay for suitable formal duds to fit the bill and thought--wait, I have the MOTHER of all dresses to meet the criterion of "gold, sequins, and drama". Remember this from the one-two-dress punch of that estate sale I went to with Eartha and Rae? I think it might be too chi-chi to wear at a reception, but I now know that I want to wear it out on the town (or heck, just around the house like this, with a stole carelessly wrapped around my shoulders) ASAP.

So! How do you like the kitchen? Have any design hints or tricks? I'm still trying to decide what to do about the curtains and the valance in this room, as the primary red doesn't fit the color scheme as well as it once did, yet what goes with the acid-ish goldenrod and black of the chairs in that room? Also, if you're in Nashville, and looking for an oversized yellow Formica vintage table at very reasonable rates, let me know!

That's all for today, see you kids back here tomorrow. Til then!

16 comments:

  1. Don't ever have me over, or else that lighting fixture maaay end up in my purse...

    Kidding!

    I love both of those dresses! The sparkling sequins just really reinforces that we need to a cocktail party. Or get fancied up for drinks at the Hermitage Hotel. OR BOTH.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Re: light fixture: Haha, thanks! I love it to death. Re: drinks: SERIOUSLY. Let's get it together! We both have dresses that need some time in the spotlight, I believe! :)

      Delete
  2. Soooo much to talk about here - I love the dinette! I think it was the perfect choice and fits the area a lot better than the old one. And I LOVE those chairs the octagonal shape of the table. Perfect. I also wish that I had room for one of those baker's racks. I loving the stuff that you have on it and especially that little chihuahua picture!

    The dresses - You know I love that sequined number. Surely, somewhere there is a plus sized dead lady's closet just FULL of sequined items waiting on me!! The first dress is beautiful too. Keep doing what you're doing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't that chihuahua thing amazing? I found it on the second day of a Patterson estate sale, along with a leopard print sixties' hat, and a book of Doris Day paper dolls. CRAZY. Who passed these items up on day one?!

      Delete
  3. I just love the way you write! It was like reading a mini novel :) Plus yay to all things vintage of course!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment and your kind words! Keep reading, there's way more vintage stuff where this came from! :)

      Delete
  4. i love your bakers rack! i've been dying to hang up my paper towel/wax paper thing like you have, but my kitchen is too tiny!
    i think you NEED to wear those gold sequins to your reception! what better occasion is there?? it looks so good with that stole!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was no good place to put that multi-use aluminum holder thingamabob on the wall, so it occurred to me one day "YES! I CAN HANG IT ON THE BAKER'S RACK!" and it's just up there with little hanging hooks. They're the coolest things! I saw one like it in a 1950's kitchen display at the children's museum in St. Louis and was proud enough to bust my vest.

      And thanks about the dress! So loud, so dramatic...but so fun!

      Delete
  5. The "Home Sweet Home" cross-stitch? WANT. I love the paper towel/wax paper thingie, too. I have one of those in aluminum and pink in the booth at an alarmingly high price because I secretly want to keep it forever and ever (#dealerfail, #hownottomake$$$). And your new dinette is great--it looks fantastic with your paint colors. Ah, paint colors. Forever my nemesis. Plus, love the new dress and the gold sequins. You are tiny!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Re: needlepoint: I almost passed that up at the Rivergate Goodwill a couple years ago, as I was on a "NO. MORE. HANGING. WALL. ITEMS." embargo at the time, but I'm so glad I broke my own rule. Re: booth item: ALUMINUM AND PINK, YOU ARE KILLING ME. You should keep it, that sounds like a humdinger of a paper holder! Re: dress: Thank you, thank you! I am finally small enough to fit into some of these crazy small sixties' dresses, so it's real encouragement to stick with my program!

      Delete
  6. I too have a formica table that is too huge for my kitchen even without the extra leaf. Mine is white though. Love the bakers rack and all the stuff on it. Your new/old table is great as well

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With the leaf in my old yellow table, I don't think it would even fit in the kitchen! Isn't that crazy. I guess the designers were thinking about all the massive fifties' dishes you were going to serve on it back in the day! And thanks for the encouragement on the new one! It's way different, but I like it and it fits the space so-o-o-o much better. :)

      Delete
  7. LOVE those amazing dresses and how you blend the old with the new seamlessly in your home. Great classic style with a modern twist.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Van! It's been hard for me to break out of this "everything must be a particular time period" thing I had for a long time, but I feel like now that I just choose things I like, they all kind of group together in that they're "things I like". It's much easier not to box myself in like I used to, design wise!

      Delete
  8. I absolutely love the light fixture in your kitchen. Where did you find it?! I never see those for sale anywhere. The Greenhouse has very similar chandeliers in the ladies' room, and every time I go there I ogle them. *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It's from a big-box hardware retailer a couple years ago. My mom picked it up for me when I first moved in as a housewarming gift, saying "it just looked like 'you'". I'll take the compliment!

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...