Monday, June 25, 2012

Alfred Hitchcock Presents: "The Glass Eye" (1957)

Good morning! I am S-W-A-M-P-E-D with schoolwork today but you know I didn't want to miss an opportunity to check in. It was a crazy weekend, and I hope I get a spare moment's time to tell you about it tomorrow, but for now, why not watch my very favorite episode of the Alfred Hitchcock show? And that's sayin' something, seeing as they're pretty much ALL my favorite episodes:

                                  

I've probably seen this a dozen times and the end of it STILL BOTHERS ME. Did I mention William Shatner (young, beautiful William Shatner?) is one of the characters in the frame narrative? The story begins in the 1920's with Shatner, going through the belongings of an old maid aunt who's passed away, finding a single glass eyeball in a jewlery box, and telling his young fiance/wife/ladyfriend the tale of how it came to be in his aunt's possession. Flashback to twenty years earlier, turn of the century, and his aunt, a prim, lonely spinster, played by an impossibly young Jessica Tandy (I can't wrap my head around her not being eighty years old! Or at least like 50 years old, circa The Birds) becomes infatuated with a ventriloquist act. Who wouldn't want to date a ventriloquist? But it's Alfred Hitchcock, so you know things don't end up all hunky dory by the credits roll. Check it out, if that sufficiently piques your interest!

Keep a good thought for me as I try to dig my way out from under these piles of educational theory articles and make sense of the notes I took last week, and I'll see you all tomorrow!

5 comments:

  1. You had me at "young, beautiful William Shatner."

    Good luck with all the schoolwork -- it'll be over before you know it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 'You had me at "young, beautiful William Shatner" '

      Yeah, uh, this.
      I've actually been looking for new movies though, maybe I'll check it out! Thanks for the recommendation!

      Delete
  2. I could look at young, beautiful William Shatner all day long. Thanks for the distraction!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Someone explain to me why at the very end the dwarf has his eye patch over the wrong eye.

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow i think i finally figured it out.....

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...