Thursday, February 27, 2020

Long Time No See!! (Book Reviews are Coming)

Hi ya, hi ya, hi ya. How ya been?

source

I have been gone a VERY VERY long time from this space, but in case you were wondering, yes, I am still digging up vintage goodies and blithering on about them like my life depended on it, just mainly at my instagram (which is 50% kids, 50% things I saw at Goodwill) and my personal Facebook page. I live! Why am I surfacing for air after a such a long period of inactivity?  I thought it might be fun to dip my toe back into the world of online writing via this blog publishing app on GoodReads. Lemme tell you the plan.

For the past year, I've been trying to put writing and reading back into a place of prominence in my day to day life. It's not easy with two kids under four, a full-time job, and a household to run, but I know lots of people make it work with even more going on, and I'd like to join their beleaguered but happy ranks. I have a GoodReads account (feel free to befriend me!) and I've been trying to log and review every book I've read this year. Of course, because resolutions are so, so hard to keep, I am already behind but trying to catch up on the review portion of that aspiration. I was telling Matthew today that I know the audience for people blogging about things that aren't very influencer-y is practically nil, but it makes me feel more like "me" to think and write critically about things, so by Godfrey, I might as well give it a shot. And it would be nice to be able to look back on the year of books in a better-laid-out-format (don't tell 'em I said that, but wow, GoodReads's layout is for the birds). 

source
So, hail my triumphant return to blogging!! :p Joking aside, I am excited to try to reclaim some of that creative energy I once had here at She Was a Bird. If you like to read book reviews, I'm going to tell you the good word about everything I've been reading. I used to skew heavily nonfiction with my reading shelves, but I've been getting more and more into fiction (that didn't show up in a sixties' horror anthology, lol) for the first time since probably college, thanks to my job. When I'm not treating French titles for francophone Canadian libraries, I'm working on what we call "hot titles" in the library collection development world-- books with media mentions, starred reviews in Booklist and Kirkus, etc. I'd love to hear from you if you have recommendations or you've read any of these titles and you want to bat about big ideas like "did they seriously kill that dude a hundred pages into the book with a hundred to go" or "if this woman uses one more adverb in this book I'm going to scream". Book talk is second only to thrift store talk in my recent conversational habits, and I'm here for it.

If you're still out there, thank you for reading in the past, and I hope some of these new book reviews (and who knows, maybe more topics if I get up the gumption) will be of interest to you. What have you been up to! Have any artistic endeavors you may or may not be able to keep up, like me, haha? 

Talk soon, take care.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...