Friday, February 14, 2014

Photo Friday: Happy Valentine's Day!

Good morning! Afternoon! 

Happy Valentine's day, kids-- I have been so bustling with activity this morning that I've barely had a moment to catch my breath! It's V-day, and I am so happy to mark the, what, fifth one running with Matthew (this time as man and wife, no less). Getting to spend the rest of the year with him again is the best gift I could get on this romantic holiday (but we may have to squeeze in some vintage jewelry just as a side line, you know, why not :) ). I have a ton of things I have YET to do, but I couldn't let a holiday pass without marking the occasion with a season-appropriate post, now could I? AND it falls on a Friday? Guess that means we're photo Fridaying with the spirit of St. Valentine on the brain. 

Take a look at these Valentine's Day photos from various Valentine's Day Dances of the mid century! I love how familiar these gatherings look-- apparently, songs and fashions change, but little awkward,  adorable school dances remain the same. I've got to jet, but treat yourself to an extra piece of heart shaped candy with my blessing, and we'll talk Monday! Bisous.   -Lisa



From the Southern Arkansas University alumni page:
Formal dances were held in the fall and spring and at Christmas and Valentine’s. The Varsitonians continued to entertain at these events. Their leader, SSC band director Richard Oliver, and his horn men swung to a rhythm begun decades earlier. By the late 1950s, a new beat—rock and roll—began to drown out swing. The Varsitonians faded. One local band, the Uniques, composed of several SSC students, began as the Cut-Ups in the late 1950s, hoping to follow the path from obscurity to fame with hit records like Buddy Holly’s Crickets. The Uniques, with lead singer Joe Stampley, in the 1960s enjoyed a measure of regional popularity and had guest spots on a few national shows.

source
Lake Oswego High School Valentines Day Dance 1959

source
Title: Valentine dance, school.

Creator: Adolph B. Rice Studio

Date: February 15, 1956
source
Nampa, Idaho
Primary Valentine’s Day Dance

source
1965 Valentine's Dance at Disneyland

source

source
User comment:
This was the very first gig I ever played in my life. These photos are (I believe) from Valentine's Day 1967. This was a dance at Redway Elementary school.

source
source
User comment:
Valentine Dance Party (girls only, except for the brother- sixth grade). Tulia, TX. (1968 or so).

source
User comment: 
balcony shot of Valentine's day dance 1969


4 comments:

  1. happy for you Lisa, and what lovely pictures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading, Sofia! I love how lonely and familiar all these little snap shots look, especially the last one-- all that emptiness! In the movies, you always see jam packed dance floors, but that's more like what I remember high school dances being like: way too big a room and a bunch of nervous kids in it!

      Delete
  2. i love the first photo with all those streamers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Streamers are like the BEST thing to fill up a room-- look at how a probably $5 crepe paper investment makes that place look like a million bucks!

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...